Socratic Seminar: The Legacy Of Columbus

By Jesus Olvera
Section I: Reflection on Performance

A) I thought the topic of the Socratic seminar couldn't be discussed well; it wasn't "juicy" enough. That's why I didn't say a lot. What I said was my knowledge and memories of Columbus Day in elementary school. I talked about how my teacher used to dress up like Columbus and wear a silly hat and carry a pumpkin (I don't know why). But what they showed my in elementary school was that he was a kind friendly man, but I didn't know that he killed a lot of people until 8th grade. My performance was low because I wasn't passionate and didn't participate, so I thought I did pretty badly.

B) I though the group did well, except for some people (including me) who didn't say anything. But other than that, the group was passionate and really into it. Some people got really deep and made connections about Columbus’s expedition to other people in history, which proves they know what they are talking about.

Section II: Reflection on Content - Answering the Essential Question

A) Columbus day shouldn't be a holiday because he really didn't discovery anything and he killed may people in his conquest of God, gold, and glory.

B) I was surprised that some people agreed with me. I didn't think some people would say Columbus Day shouldn't be a holiday because he didn't accomplish a lot. But some people said that it should be a holiday and we should get a day off because we need to rest and that we work really hard. Others said we should use this day to learn about him and honor him.

C) Christopher Columbus shouldn't have a holiday because he didn't find India, he didn't even find America! He shouldn't have a holiday because he killed many innocent natives just for gold and glory. His mission was to trade with India and connect Europe and Asia, but he never did! Here's proof that he never went to America or Asia:Columbus Day was created because people were lazy, not really for education. Columbus Day is celebrating murder and greed because in the packet Ms Golub gave us says that he burned people alive, cut their hands off, and ripped open their stomachs; including women, children, and the elderly. If we celebrate Columbus Day, we might as well make O.J. Simpson Day.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?