Dialectic Journal - Siddhartha
Quotes:
1) “Om is the bow, the arrow is the soul, the Brahman is the arrow’s goal, which should be hit unswervingly”
2) "You will go into the forest and be a Samana. When you have found blissfulness in the forest, then come back and teach me to be blissful. If you'll find disappointment, then return and let us once again make offerings to the gods together.”
3) “A goal stood before Siddhartha, a single goal: to become empty, empty of
Thirst, empty of wishing, empty of dreams, empty of joy and sorrow.”
4) “Oh Siddhartha, you have learned more from the Samanas than I knew. It is hard; it is very hard to cast a spell on an old Samana. Truly, if you had stayed there, you would soon have learned to walk on water. I do not seek to walk on water, said Siddhartha. Let old Samanas be content with such feats!"
5) "You have renounced home and parents, you have renounced your own will, and you have renounced friendship. That is what the teachings preach, that is the will of the Illustrious One. That is what you wished for yourself. Tomorrow, Govinda, I will leave you"
6) "I can think, I can wait, and I can fast"
What It Means:
1) What it meant was the meditation is om, and om is used to shoot your soul to Brahman, which is the target. The more you meditate the better you get with accuracy and precision.
2) What it meant was when the Brahman spoke he said: if you find what your looking for, then come back and tell me, but if you don’t, then come back and continue you old life.
3) What it means is his goal was to stop wishing, dreaming, being happy and feeling pain. When it says to become empty it means to remove what causes wishing, dreaming, being happy and feeling pain. How that relates to my life is when I did Ki Gong I needed to empty my mind of thoughts and think about my breathing.
4) What it means is that he could of got stronger, but he didn’t want to because he didn’t want to be with the Samanas anymore, and that’s a little greedy and greed causes pain. I don’t really know how this relates to my life
5) What it means is that Govinda has been under Siddhartha’s shadow for a while and has learned the ways of Buddha and there is really nothing Siddhartha can help him with anymore. How this relates to my life is when I was graduating into 9th grade, I left my teachers because I already knew everything so I didn’t really need them anymore.
6) What it means is Siddhartha said that because he was ready to follow Buddha before he changed his decision. How this relates to my life is when I was 5 I told my mom “12 x 12=24” to show her I was ready for 3rd grade (It didn’t work).

